Friday, November 16, 2012

Biscoff Spiced Cream Frosting

Most of you know that I have a *slight* obsession with this stuff. It is like heaven in a jar and I have to hold myself back from eating it by the spoonful. This is the next best thing since Nutella was invented. I first tried Biscoff cookies when I was on a Delta flight. If you've never had a Biscoff cookie, it's like a shortbread-type biscuit made with spices. It reminds me a lot of gingerbread. A miracle formed when some intelligent person decided to take those cookies and make them into this delectable, creamy, divine spread. This stuff is a little hard to find, but I had luck finding it at Walmart and Walgreens. It's usually located by the peanut butter.

I love this stuff so much and I thought what could be better than homemade frosting made with this stuff. And then something miraculous happened.... yep, this frosting. It is creamy, fluffy, spicy and you will want to make it just so that you can eat it by the spoonful. This frosting is perfect because it holds it shape and it doesn't leave a greasy film in your mouth. Do you remember when I talked about my co-worker that preferred store-bought frosting because she had never tasted good homemade frosting? Well, I think this frosting converted her to the "dark-side" of homemade frosting. When I let her sample one of my cupcakes with this amazing frosting, she told me that it was the best frosting she had ever had. Seriously, it is delicious.

This is my new favorite frosting. It tastes amazing with the Butterscotch Spice Cupcakes. This frosting combines a bunch of my favorite frostings into one. It's like buttercream frosting meets cream cheese frosting and gets tangled up with marshmallow frosting. Get ready for something that will knock your socks off.

Here's a list of what you need:
-1/2 C. butter (no substitutions)
-2/3 C. Biscoff spread
-2/3 C. marshmallow cream (the canned stuff)
-4 oz. cream cheese, softened to room temp
-1 tsp. vanilla
-1 TBS. lemon juice (I used the RealLemon stuff from the store because I didn't have fresh lemon)
-2-4 TBS of milk
-3.5-4 C of powdered sugar
-4 TBS of butterscotch chips for garnish

1. In a large bowl add butter and Biscoff spread and mix until smooth with an electric mixer.

2. Add mashmallow cream, cream cheese, vanilla and lemon juice and mix until incorporated and smooth.

3. While mixing, add 1 cup of powdered sugar at a time. You may need to add a TBS of milk at a time if frosting becomes too thick or pasty. Mix until the frosting becomes light and fluffy and holds it shape.

4. This makes enough frosting to generously frost about 36 cupcakes. You can store any leftover frosting in an airtight container for a day or two. If you store in the refrigerator, you may need to whip it again right before frosting a cake or cupcakes.

5. Take 3 TBS of butterscotch chips into a rotary grater and grate some butterscotch shavings onto each frosted cupcake. Coarsely chop the other TBS of chips and place on frosting for garnish. Enjoy!



I'm working on a "How to Frost Cupcakes" Tutorial that I'll post when I've completed it. I'll show you different decorating tips with a pastry bag and techniques for getting that professional-looking appearance to your cupcakes.

Printable Recipe:

Biscoff Spiced Cream Frosting
Frosts about 36 cupcakes

1/2 C. butter (no substitutions)
2/3 C. Biscoff spread
2/3 C. marshmallow cream (the canned stuff)
4 oz. cream cheese, softened to room temp
1 tsp. vanilla
1 TBS. lemon juice
2-4 TBS of milk
3.5-4 C of powdered sugar
4 TBS of butterscotch chips for garnish

In a large bowl mix butter and Biscoff spread together with an electric mixer. Add in marshmallow cream, cream cheese, vanilla, and lemon juice. Mix until smooth. While mixing, gradually add powdered sugar, about a cup at a time. You may need to add a TBS of milk at a time if the frosting becomes too thick and pasty. Beat frosting together until fluffy. Frost cupcakes. Place 3 TBS of butterscotch chips into a rotary grater and grate shavings onto cupcakes. Coarsely chop the other TBS of butterscotch chips and place on to frosting for garnish. 








No comments:

Post a Comment